Corruption and bribery – what is it and what does it look like?
Corruption is the abuse of public or private office for personal gain. It includes acts of bribery, embezzlement, nepotism or state capture. It is often associated with and reinforced by other illegal practices, such as bid rigging, fraud or money laundering. It could be the multinational company that pays a bribe to win the public contract, despite proposing a sub-standard offer; the politician redirecting public investments or the public official embezzling funds for school renovations to build his private villa. It could be the manager recruiting an ill-suited friend for a high-level position or the local official demanding bribes from ordinary citizens to get access to a new water pipe.
Address bribery and corruption in all its forms
- Public, private and not-for-profit sectors
- By the organisation itself
- By the organisation’s personnel acting on the organisation’s behalf or for its benefit
- By the organisation’s business associates acting on the organisation’s behalf or for its benefit
- Of the organisation
- Of the organisation’s personnel in relation to the organisation’s activities
- Of the organisation’s business associates in relation to the organisation’s activities
- Direct and indirect bribery (e.g., a bribe offered or accepted through or by a third party)
The solution – ISO 37001 ABMS:2016
ISO has developed a standard – ISO 37001 ABMS:2016 – to help organisations promote an ethical business culture. “Designed to help your organisation implement an anti-bribery management system (ABMS), and/or enhance the controls you currently have. It helps to reduce the risk of bribery [and corruption] occurring and can demonstrate to your stakeholders that you have put in place internationally recognised good-practice anti-bribery [and anti-corruption] controls”.
This new standard mirrors numerous steps contained in the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (DOJ and SEC) and Good Practice Guidance on Internal Controls, Ethics and Compliance (OECD), Anti-Corruption Ethics and Compliance Handbook for Business (OECD), UK Bribery Act 2010 and the British Ministry of Justice’s Adequate Procedures document. ISO 37001 ABMS Standard is flexible and can be adapted to manage many types of bribery in addition to suiting any type of business locally or worldwide.
ISO 37001 certifies that your organisation has implemented reasonable and proportionate measures to prevent bribery. These measures involve top-level leadership, training, bribery risk assessment, due diligence adequacy, financial and commercial controls, reporting, audit, and investigation.
The first step of demonstrating your organisation’s commitment to implementing an effective ISO 37001 ABMS is to commit to ISO 37001 training and/or certification. In order to offer you ISO 37001 training and/or certification, CRI Group launched an Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption ABAC® Center of Excellence.
ABAC® is an independent accredited certification body that operates through its global networks of certified ethics and compliance professionals, qualified auditors, financial and corporate investigators, certified fraud examiners, forensic analysts and accountants with diversified backgrounds. Providing a robust anti-bribery and anti-corruption program increases your company’s protection from unethical behaviour. An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.
Why do you need our ABAC® program?
The ABAC® offers a complete suite of services and solutions designed to help organisations against bribery and corruption even when operating in multi-jurisdiction and multi-cultural environments. Corruption is everybody’s problem, and it cannot be prevented and detected if your employees aren’t provided with the information and training they need to combat it. ABAC© offers Introductory, Internal Auditor and Lead Auditor training (online and in-class training) to all personnel who are involved in the development, implementation and evaluation of their organisation’s ABMS and in coordinating anti-bribery compliance activities within the organisation. Whilst our Certification is a mitigating piece of evidence to regulators, prosecutors, or even courts that your company has taken meaningful steps in its efforts to prevent bribery and corruption.
ABAC® program helps ensure that your business has implemented a management system which prevents, detects and responds to bribery and complies with anti-bribery laws, internally and externally (i.e. agents, consultants, suppliers, distributors and other third-parties). ABAC© works with clients of all industries, sizes and organisation types to develop robust programs using the latest techniques and best practices that help foster an ethical business culture.
- Extensive and Effective Global Coverage
- Our vast network of Certified Fraud Examiners, Compliance Officers and Research Consultants possess diverse industry backgrounds and are strategically positioned across five continents. Our multi-national corporate intelligence and forensics network is based in Dubai and operates in Europe, the Middle East, Asia, North Africa and outlier territories where reliable information is difficult to obtain.
- Our professionals are acutely trained in international business compliance, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), UK Bribery Act, OECD Anti-Bribery Convention, Money Laundering Regulations and their associated developments. Business intelligence is gathered from regulators, industry observers, suppliers, competitors, distributors and even current/former customers.
ABAC© program can be tailored in accordance with your organisation’s requirements. Take this test and find out what are your needs.
Looking for ISO 37001 ABMS training?
At ABAC®, we understand how important ISO 37001 training is for your career and your company. A company’s own employees are its best protection against corruption. Statistics show that most corruption is detected internally. Give your employees the tools they need to prevent bribery and mitigate related risks. Achieving ISO 37001 training is a proactive way of demonstrating your organisation’s commitment to ethical sustainability. Your employees will be able to recognise any form of corruption, and report it. Interested in other ISO 37001 ABMS courses? Visit ISO 37001 training page for more details.